Geldeston is a rural community in south Norfolk on the north bank of the river Waveney between Beccles and Bungay. Its adjacent villages are Gillingham to the east, Kirby Cane & Ellingham to the west and Stockton to the north. For a map, click here. The postcode for the centre of the village is NR34 0LN.
Geldeston has approximately 400 residents living in 157 households. Data from the 2011 census can be found here.
The centre of the village is a conservation area. Many of the houses in the village lie along The Street, being the access road to and from the centre of the village towards Gillingham. The village also includes several distinct settlements, Dunburgh, Dockeney and West End.
Pevsner and Wilson’s The Buildings of England lists the Church of St Michael and All Angels with its 12th century round tower, and several privately owned houses, Geldeston Hall, Rush Fen and Chilverton’s Cottage, Danegelts, The Old House and Manor Farm House. A significant development is the Kells Estate part of which is managed by Saffron Housing and a number of the properties were designed by Tayler & Green between 1947 and 1954.
The village benefits from a church, a village hall, Rowan Marine boat yard, Mandy’s farm shop and two pubs, the Wherry Inn in the centre of the village and the Locks Inn on the river. There is also a children’s playground and a multifunction outdoor space, called the GREEN project.
Holiday accommodation is available in the village and nearby. For details please see local publications.
Geldeston Parish Council is elected by village residents and meets bi-monthly.
Geldeston is split between the administrative areas of South Norfolk District Council (Gillingham Ward) and the Broads Authority, part of the village (Dockeney) lying in the Broads Authority ‘national park’.
South Norfolk is one of seven districts in Norfolk. For details of Norfolk County Council click here.
The parliamentary constituency is South Norfolk.
Details of members of the European Parliament for the Eastern Region can be found here.